10% of our proceeds are donated to the Strathcona Community Centre Food Program: an initiative that improves children’s and family’s access to nutritious food, shares and grows their food skills and builds their community. The Food Security Program at the Strathcona Community Centre is a hub for food and community leadership. It is a place where Strathcona residents come together, share their gifts, build community, and expand upon their experiences and skills.
The Strathcona Food Program contributes to the community by offering the following programs:
- Breakfast Program: The Breakfast Program welcomes students of Lord Strathcona Elementary School every weekday morning before school and summer programs.
- Backpack Program: The Backpack Program is a weekend healthy snack program for local families with children who have barriers to accessing food. Their longstanding generous contributions enable them to share healthy snacks with up to 350 children per week.
- Community Kitchens: The community kitchen programs offer opportunities for people to share knowledge and skills, gain leadership experience and get to know each other while preparing and eating delicious multicultural foods.
- Farm & Farmer’s Market Trips: Each season they run family-oriented trips to local farms and farmer’s markets.
- Access to Training: This program gives community kitchen participants and food program volunteers training opportunities, helping them participate in training such as food safe, kitchen first aid, canning, and community kitchen leadership.
If you want to learn more about the Strathcona Food Program, volunteer or donate please go to this link.